It leads to disease. And..uh…fat!
So let’s eat Special K bars instead!
You can tell I’m being a sarcastic lil brat, right?
I had to share this article on where the current debate stands on fat (i.e. debunks the myth that “low fat” is a healthy diet plan, & that all saturated fats are ”bad”). It will blow your mind. One thing people are in consensus about? Trans fats are killer.
Check it via Civil Eats here.
And don’t worry, vegans, you can still get plenty of yummy and good-for-you fats from avocados and nuts.
- Shulman, Martha Rose. “Say Goodbye to ‘Low Fat.’” Zester Daily. 1 Feb. 2011. <http://www.zesterdaily.com/health/801-say-goodbye-to-low-fat>
- Jameson, Marni. “A Reversal on Carbs.” The Los Angeles Times. 20 Dec. 2010. <http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-carbs-20101220,0,5893431,full.story>
- Scott-Thomas, Caroline. “Low fat diets could increase heart disease risk, say nutrition experts.” 16 Nov. 2010. <http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Science-Nutrition/Low-fat-diets-could-increase-heart-disease-risk-say-nutrition-experts>
- Taubes, Gary. “What if It’s all Been One Big Fat Lie?” The New York Times. 7 July 2002. <http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=1>
- Hu, Frank, et al. “Types of Dietary Fat and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease: A Critical Review.”Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol. 20, No. 1, 5-19 (2001). <http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/20/1/5>
Where do you currently stand on the “‘good fat’ versus ‘bad fat’ versus ‘no fat is best’ debate”?
The Cranky One