Hey guys! I was inspired to begin making my own Larabars when I did research for a post on saving money and found a video of a couple making their own bars [here]…Then I completely forgot about it until I saw Gena’s lemon cashew hemp bar recipe yesterday!
So, I figured I might as well give it a go…with my own twist, of course!
When Life Gives You Lemons Pistachio Nut Bar
- 2/3c pitted dates
- 1/2c shelled roasted pistachios
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- Lay out a 8×10 piece of plastic wrap on a stable and smooth surface.
- In a blender or food processor, chop pistachios until fine. Remove and place in bowl.
- Place dates in blender and chop until fine. Add to bowl with dates.
- Add extract and mix together with your hands.
- Place “dough” on plastic wrap, cover with enough room to massage the dough out to a 1/2 inch thick consistency.
- Place in the freezer for at least 20 minutes, then cut into portions and eat or rudely bite off pieces like a cave-woman.
- Makes three bars of about 46 grams each.
User Entered Recipe
Amount Per Serving
|Total Fat||9.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.9 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||35.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.3 g|
|Vitamin A||2.4 %|
|Vitamin B-12||0.0 %|
|Vitamin B-6||21.4 %|
|Vitamin C||2.0 %|
|Vitamin D||0.0 %|
|Vitamin E||5.1 %|
|Pantothenic Acid||3.5 %|
|*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|
Compare to Larabar’s Lemon Bar (51g): 220 calories, 11g fat, 0mg sodium, 28g carbs, 4g fiber, 22g sugars, 5g protein. Ingredients: Dates, Cashews, Almonds, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Natural Lemon Flavor.
I chose pistachios because I love the flavor of them. Plus, they happen to have more protein and fiber per ounce than cashews do.
These bars are DELICIOUS. Who would have thought something so delicious could come from something so simple? No added sugars, salt or anything. This recipe, then, happens to be *vegan *soy free *gluten free *transfat free etc. – so GUILT FREE! Plus, you’ll save money making your own and you can have fun making endless variations.
Take a gander at Larabar’s 19 flavors – choose the one(s) you like, look at its ingredients list and then go replicate it yourself!You can make them “raw” by using raw nuts and you can be cool like Gena and add hemp seeds for extra nutrition (or consider flax seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds for cuteness factor, etc.).
Get in my belly!
Ever made your own snack- or protein bars?
The Cranky One