It’s Wednesday! What’s on the agenda guys? I am trying to relish my last days before life gets (more) C-R-A-Z-Y! Training for work begins tomorrow, my bro’s wedding is 8/30 and school starts 8/31! Lots coming up! I am making a schedule of how I will fit in strength training and cardio work-outs based on my upcoming schedule, which leaves very little time for being unproductive (and even less time for sleep and fun lol). Do you guys schedule in your work-out sessions or just aim to fit them in?
JavaTurtle on Flickr here
I heart coffee. It’s right up there on the list with chocolate, cheesecake and pizza. And as America’s number one source of antioxidants, I don’t think I’m alone in lovin’ it.
Some possible pros and cons of coffee, per Harvard Medical School here, as relates to:
Blood pressure. Results from long-term studies are showing that coffee may not increase the risk for high blood pressure over time, as previously thought. Study findings for other cardiovascular effects are a mixed bag.
Cancer. Coffee might have anti-cancer properties. Last year, researchers found that coffee drinkers were 50% less likely to get liver cancer than nondrinkers. A few studies have found ties to lower rates of colon, breast, and rectal cancers.
Cholesterol. Two substances in coffee — kahweol and cafestol — raise cholesterol levels. Paper filters capture these substances, but that doesn’t help the many people who now drink non-filtered coffee drinks, such as lattes. Researchers have also found a link between cholesterol increases and decaffeinated coffee, possibly because of the type of bean used to make certain decaffeinated coffees.
Diabetes. Heavy coffee drinkers may be half as likely to get diabetes as light drinkers or nondrinkers. Coffee may contain chemicals that lower blood sugar. A coffee habit may also increase your resting metabolism rate, which could help keep diabetes at bay.
Parkinson’s disease. Coffee seems to protect men, but not women, against Parkinson’s disease. One possible explanation for the sex difference may be that estrogen and caffeine need the same enzymes to be metabolized, and estrogen captures those enzymes.
Do you guys drink coffee? How and how often? Do you purchase it from a coffee shop or make it yourself?
If you are a Starbucks lover, you can find all the nutrition information for their coffees here. They also have a list of all “under 200 calories” options, some of which include (based on a tall serving):
- BREWED COFFEE — 5 calories, 0 g fat
- BREWED TAZO® TEA — 0 calories, 0 g fat
- NONFAT TAZO® GREEN TEA LATTE — 130 calories, 0 g fat
- NONFAT CAPPUCCINO — 80 calories, 0 g fat
- NONFAT CAFFÈ LATTE — 120 calories, 0 g fat
- NONFAT CARAMEL MACCHIATO — 170 calories, 1 g fat
- SOY TAZO® CHAI TEA LATTE — 190 calories, 2.5 g fat
- NONFAT CAFFÈ MOCHA – HOLD THE WHIP — 170 calories, 1.5 g fat
Thrift Store Deals
Since I discussed some of my grocery shopping money-saving tips in yesterday’s post, I thought I would share how I save money on clothes purchases, too — thrift shopping! How does saving money fit into the whole health scheme of things? Hey, a healthy bank account gives me peace of mind! All aspects of our lives are so intricately and inextricably wound, don’t you think?
Thrift shopping is something near and dear to my heart as I consider it a treasure hunt I have been embarking on with my mom for as long as I can remember.
My recent purchase, pictured, above:
- Pair of Bongo shorts
- Pair of Roxy shorts
- Pair of Old Navy Shorts
- BCBG shirt
- Banana Republic shirt
Total spent: $20.75
Do any of you go thrift store shopping?
In the News/Blogs
- That’s Fit‘s, “Worst Habits of Runners” (8/18/09) here
- Science Daily‘s, “Neuron’s That Control Obesity in Fruit Flies Identified” (8/19/09) here
- Science Daily‘s, “Whole Grain Cereals, Popcorn Rich In Antioxidants, Not Just Fiber, New Research Concludes” (8/19/09) here
- Diet Blog‘s, “Licorice May Help Cut Body Fat” (8/19/09) here
Give-Away Round Up
- Did you enter my give-away here for some Feed Granola and other loot? ;D
- And yet another Dick’s $100 gift card give away here
- Win some loot for your dog and some Amazing Grass products for yourself here
- Win some Stuffits Shoe Savers here
- Win a $50 Free People clothing gift card here
- Win a box of Lazy Baker Cookie Mix here
- Win a copy of the book Clean Food here
I hope you have a wonderful day!!
<3, The Cranky One