You know that guy at the bar who is so funny looking that it’s actually a bit charming? (No? I’m the only one?) Well, the zucchini squash would be that dude and, boy, did he swindle me into loving him. Can you see why?
I wanted veggies and wanted something more than a salad. I threw the following together with contents from my fridge and man…TOO DELISH!
Simple, Tangy & Super Zucchini Squash
- 10 medium zucchini squash quartered — 314 calories, 3.9 g fat, 21.6 g fiber, 23.7 g protein
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper — 50 calories, 0.4 g fat, 1.7 g fiber, 1.9 g protein
- 1 tablespoon olive oil — 119 calories, 13.5 g fat, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein
- 3-5 tablespoons fresh grated ginger (depends on your taste) — 8 calories, 0.1 g fat, 0 g fiber, 0.1 g protein
- 3-5 tablespoons fresh, chopped basil — 1 calorie, 0.1 g fat, 0.2 g fiber, 0.2 g protein
- Mix all ingredients and place in large baking dish sprayed with Pam Cooking Spray.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Nutritional stats for one serving (1 quartered zucchini spiced this way) — 49.2 calories, 1.8 g fat, 2.35 g fiber, 2.59 g protein
What’s Up with Zucchini? From Nutritiondata.com here:
“This food is low in Saturated Fat and Sodium, and very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Vitamin A, Thiamin, Niacin, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Potassium and Manganese.”
Serving Suggestion — Zucchini Pizza Sandwich
- 2 slices Simple, Tangy & Super Zucchini Squash (1/2 medium zucchini), chopped — 24.6 calories, 0.9 g fat, 1.18 g fiber, 1.30 g protein
- 1 slice Oroweat Double Fiber Bread – 70 calories, 1 g fat, 6 g fiber, 3 g protein
- ¼ cup Clasico traditional pasta sauce – 25 calories, 1 g fat, 1g fiber, 1 g protein
- 1 oz Lite Shredded Mozzarella Cheese — 45 calories, 3 g fat, 0 g fiber, 5 g protein
- Pam Cooking Spray to “fry” the slice of bread.
- “Fry” the slice of bread for a bit, add sauce and cheese to top until cheese melts a bit. Remove and add chopped zucchini. Fold like a sandwich and enjoy! I was so enamored by this little pizza sandwich, I can’t even tell ya!
- Nutritional info. for one pizza sandwich: 164.60 calories, 5.9 g fat, 7 g fiber, 10.3 g protein
- One Western Bagel’s “The Alternative Pita – Whole Wheat – 110 calories, 0.5 g fat, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein
- Baked Tofu (added a few baby carrots; omitted sesame seeds) — 167.88 calories, 6.28 g fat, 1.38 g fiber, 8.53 g protein
- Black bean cucumber salad (Thanks for making this, Lucie! I need the recipe!)
- Simple, Tangy & Super Zucchini Squash (4 slices, or 1 squash) — 49.2 calories, 1.8 g fat, 2.35 g fiber, 2.59 g protein
- Total nutritional info. for dinner (not inc. bean salad) — 327.08 calories, 8.58 g fat, 11.73 g fiber, 18.12 g protein
- Baked tofu
- Oroweat double fiber bread with tomato sauce and mozzarella
- Leftover mashed potatoes I made yesterday for my dad
Not sure if you’ve noticed based on my more recent meal pictures — but I am no longer eating meat. Yes, that makes me a vegetarian. It’s not a big deal and wasn’t a sacrifice to come to that decision given that I was naturally eating very little meat any way. So, if you don’t see meat in any of my recipes any more, that’s why!
What’s your favorite vegetable? How do you cook it? Any veggie recipes you want to share?